Day 17 - My Soul to Take (2010)

I’ve watched this movie a couple times now and I’m still not entirely sure how I feel about it. This is another film by the great Wes Craven, and much like Cursed, it’s had a rather shaky reception from horror fans.

Sixteen years ago the town of Riverton was plagued by a serial killer tagged the Riverton Ripper. But on the same night that the Ripper was said to have died, seven children were born. Sixteen years later it’s become a tradition of the Riverton Seven to get together on their birthday and metaphorically slay the Ripper to keep him from returning. But after something goes wrong with the ritual, the killing starts again and the Riverton Seven are being picked off one by one on their birthday. Now Bug, one of the seven, must work out whether the Ripper has actually returned or if it is one of the other six doing the killing. Or could it even be him?

Like Cursed the biggest flaw with this film seems not to be so much in the execution, though there are errors there as well, but once again in the expectations given to it by bearing Craven’s name. I’ve been wondering since I reviewed Cursed, whether or not, had these films been made by some up and coming young horror directors rather than by someone whose name carries so much weight, would they have had a better reception? Who knows? But despite the name on the directing credit there are still flaws in this movie.

Again, much like Cursed, through its highs and lows, this is one of those movies to watch for a bit of mindless fun more than anything. For all its flaws, and despite the fact that most horror fans seem to despise this movie, I actually kind of enjoyed it. But then, I had heard people raging against My Soul to Take long before seeing it, so when I saw it, I went in with perhaps the lowest possible expectations. Maybe this is the only way to really enjoy this film, to expect the absolute worst, so that it can only exceed your expectations.

For tomorrow I will be reviewing Season of the Witch (2011).



No comments:

Post a Comment